Find us on
Tips for Effective Proposals
Before writing your proposal, please thoroughly read the grant-making process information and the requirements for each of the components of a completed application. Make sure that each of these components is as detailed and current as possible, and is included in the application packet.
Five Tips for Effective Grant Proposals
- Read the grant guidelines. Do not apply for a grant that falls outside of the guidelines. If you are in doubt, contact the grant maker for clarification.
- Follow the directions provided. Make sure all parts are inclluded. Answer all the questions.
- Funders want to know what the results of the grant will be. Think about what the grant will accomplish, and include this in your proposal. For example, whom will it benefit and how will it benefit these people?
- Provide a budget that explains what the grant will be will pay for. Explain where other funds will come from, if applicable.
- Keep it simple. Do not send hard copies unless necessary. Brochures and such materials will not be copied and should not be included unless they are vital to an understanding of the proposal. Documents are shared with the Program Committee electronically.